Thursday 21 November 2013

Meet the Executive! Brooklyn Ritchie, Artistic Director

The executive committee has been working tirelessly for months to lay the groundwork for the 2014 New Works Festival, and this work has been spearheaded by the intrepid Brooklyn Ritchie. He's gone from being last season's only member at large to this season's artistic director. Now, get to know the executive committee's only male member:


1. What is your involvement at the U of A?
I’m in my 4th year of the Bachelor of Arts in Drama with a minor in Arts and Cultural Management.  And yes, Arts and Cultural Management is a real minor. 

2. What is your background in theatre?
 I studied both acting and technical theatre at Mount Royal University, in Calgary.For a few years after that, I hung out in Calgary and worked mostly as an actor or stage manager with some companies like Theatre Calgary, Shakespeare in the Park, Downstage, and Ground Zero. I also co-ran an ad hoc theatre company called Ronin Theatre, where I mostly wrote or directed the shows. I’m at the U of A trying to sharpen my directing skills and meet some new folks.

3. What drew you to the New Works Executive this year?
I was obviously drawn to a New Works Executive position because I have an interest in facilitating new play development. However, beyond that, I’m wanting to keep building a sense of community within the Drama Department. I’m keen to bridge some of these little gaps between what program you’re in or what year you’re in and encourage us to come together as a community of young professionals to create some pertinent and enriching theatre come February.

4. Do you have a favourite play? (new work or otherwise!)
I’m a sucker for David Mamet. I’ve worked on a few of his scripts before but I’m starved for more. If I could work on a new play, I’d work on whatever Hannah Moscovitch has coming up next.



No comments:

Post a Comment